Thursday, October 15, 2015

Personalizing Your Home on a Budget.

In my book (SEE AND BUY HERE!) in the introduction I talk about my love for decorating on a budget and how I decorated on a budget out of necessity in the beginning, but how I stayed with it because I love finding and creating things that are unique and personal. 
budget, decor, vintage, home decor, http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2015/10/personalizing-your-home-on-budget.html
I love being able to change up my decor without feeling like I have invested too much in a piece to put it away in a box when I get tired of it.  No guilt decorating!!


Hunting for home items in thrift stores and garage sales and antique places is fun and even exhilarating when you find the perfect piece.

And don't get me wrong, I love Pottery Barn and Target and definitely decorate with some of their items.  But, there is something about finding and using something that is individual, that a million other folks aren't going to have in their homes.  And the thrill of getting it for only a few dollars is wonderful too.

Here are a few recent items I have found that make me smile.
wood bowl, gourds, budget decor, vintage, natural decor, http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2015/10/personalizing-your-home-on-budget.html
I was kicking myself for not buying a beautiful wood bowl at TJ MAXX--I went back for it and they were gone.  But, I found this beauty for $1 at a garage sale.  A little coconut oil brought back the wood's beauty--I filled it with some gourds that were given to me.
budget decor, tin, vintage canister, dog food, how to, personalized home, http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2015/10/personalizing-your-home-on-budget.html
I needed a place to keep the dog food.  This awesome, large (almost 3 feet tall), tin canister works perfectly.  I grabbed this beauty from the antique place I work at.  It has my favorite number on it--4 so I KNEW it was meant to be. We just put the large dog food bag down in it and scoop it out.
glass jar, vintage jar, pretzels, budget decor, personalized decor, how to,http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2015/10/personalizing-your-home-on-budget.html
This Seyfert's pretzel jar is special because Seyfert is my mom's maiden name (no worries, I don't use her maiden name for any security passwords).  I grabbed this beauty at a garage sale for 50 cents and keep granola and protein bars in it.
vintage toy, kitchen organization, kitchen storage, how to, budget decor, vintage decor, kitsch, kitchen, http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2015/10/personalizing-your-home-on-budget.html
My most recent find is this cute circus train toy.  I found this again at the antique place where I work (I decorate there one day a week). The turquoise metal wheels had me at first glance.  I put it next to my stove to hold oil and vinegar, salt and pepper.  

A few hints and tips for personalizing your home on a budget:
1. Only buy it if you love it!  I have become much better and recognizing what makes my heart sing and what is just nice, but not a to die for item.
2. Know your spending limit and budget and don't go over it.  I know that there will always be more "junk" to love--if it is too much I won't buy it.
3.  If you really want it, buy it when you see it.  One of kind finds don't last.  Do not assume it will still be there tomorrow.
4.  Enjoy the hunt--make it a girl's day or a family day.  Sometimes you will score and sometimes you won't. But, if you have had a fun time hunting, then it is a win. I like to play who can find the most hideous item game.  We have also played who can buy the ugliest item for $2 or less.  
5.  Be patient and have fun!!

8 comments:

  1. very nice post becky, i enjoyed reading it and looking at your cute finds xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great hints and tips Becky. Now, my problem is weeding out and getting rid of things I no longer love but have a bond with. Any tips on breaking that bond?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...if the items have sentimental value I have a harder time getting rid of them. Things from a garage sale or thrift store are much easier to purge. I do however, really try hard to not hold on to too much, tell myself they are just things and I can hold on to the memory of them,

      Delete
    2. Well...if the items have sentimental value I have a harder time getting rid of them. Things from a garage sale or thrift store are much easier to purge. I do however, really try hard to not hold on to too much, tell myself they are just things and I can hold on to the memory of them,

      Delete
  3. I love all of the unique, one of a kind items that you find either when decorating on a budget or simply because you like those interesting pieces. I'm on the hunt for something pretty and practical that will hold my ever growing collection of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful tips! I enjoyed reading your post.Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips! LOTS of my home decorations are thrifted items, or else items in my daughters' homes! Now that we are on a pretty limited budget, it makes more sense to be out there, thrifting! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate your kind words!