Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Creativity & How to Encourage It

I am often told, "Oh, you are so creative, I would never think of that!"  And while I appreciate the compliment, I really believe we are all creative.  Some of us are creative with paint and wood, some with delicious ingredients in the kitchen, some are creative while disciplining and raising children, while others create brilliant business plans.
creativity, painting rocks, arrow, heart, herringbone, montana, http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2015/08/creativity-how-to-encourage-it.html

When I came home the other day to these rockin' rocks that my daughter painted while she had a few hours alone at home and was bored, I got to thinking more about creativity and here are a few of my thoughts:

Creativity needs time to grow.  You need to practice, and make mistakes, and just play to help grow creativity.

Being bored and having simple materials to work fuels creativity.  When you are forced to look at everyday objects in new ways, you become more creative.  Being bored and not being entertained by flashy toys, electronics, or even other people also encourages creativity.

Creativity is messy.  You need to play, get your hands dirty, let the kids make messes.  Oh, the paint gets everywhere and the kitchen table may look like a small explosion occurred--that is okay.

Learn something new to spur on creativity.  I love learning to use new tools as it opens up new possibilities to what I can create.  Learn something new in the kitchen.  Take a night class.  Keep learning and growing.

Have fun!  Being creative is fun, enjoy it and enjoy the process! My daughter said she had so much fun painting rocks--simple and a little messy, but something created out of boredom--I love that!
painting rocks, creativity, herringbone, decor, vanity, Montana, arrows, sunshine,http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2015/08/creativity-how-to-encourage-it.html

PS--These are sitting on her vanity that we created--I will be sharing it soon!

9 comments:

  1. I love the rocks! So simple, yet very pretty & interesting. I love to paint on rocks. I've been doing it for almost 20 years. I also love that you took the time to write this blog post about creativity Becky. So sweet. Tell your daughter that I am reinspired to go paint some rocks. I am so going to copy the heart one & then try to come up with a few whimsical designs of my own. Have a blessed & creative day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this and I agree with you. Creativity is cultivated and we all are in some area. It's comparison that can kill it sometimes. Thanks so much for this encouraging post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. You nailed it in my humble opinion! I hope you don't mind, but I am putting a link to this article on my facebook page. I think everyone should give this a read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post! I agree with Lucy that it's comparison that really seems to kill creativity- and perfectionism. I work with a group of 70 moms doing a monthly craft and I so often hear "Oh you're so crafty, mine never looks right". I so desire to cultivate a happy creative culture in our group. You have refreshed and encouraged me and I hope to be able to impart your wisdom to our group this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this comment! Yes, comparison does kill. I have to get off the internet to really get creative.

      Delete
  5. Those rocks are fantastic!! Great post too...I tell all my kids that no matter what all form of art is fantastic, because they are actually 'trying' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, trying and playing is the main thing--the most important thing.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate your kind words!