Friday, February 27, 2015

Project Challenge #2 With Thrift Store Find

Welcome to the 2nd Project Challenge--bloggers joining together and creating something new and wonderful from a similar item.  
paint, candlesticks, thrift store, beach decor, Beyond The Picket Fence, http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2015/02/project-challenge-2-with-thrift-store.html
This month's challenge item was an under $5 thrift store or garage sale item. I started with a set of candlesticks that I got for $4 on half price day and transformed them with paint.
Fusion Mineral Paint, candlesticks, fresh decor, shabby chic, Beyond The Picket Fence,http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2015/02/project-challenge-2-with-thrift-store.html
Here is the before:
thrift store candlesticks, http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2015/02/project-challenge-2-with-thrift-store.html
Recently when I showed a project that had some thrift store painted candlesticks in the background, people loved them and asked about the candlesticks.  I always look for candlesticks at the thrift store.  I look for wood or resin or brass ones, I leave the ceramic ones.  Some days I score some great ones, some days not.  I look for ones with designs or carvings because they looks so great with paint.  I knew this trio would be perfect.  They had a faux metal finish on them.
thrift store, candles, paint, beyond the picket fence, http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2015/02/project-challenge-2-with-thrift-store.html
Using Fusion Mineral Paint ( I will be sharing more about this paint soon, but I am in love!), I painted different colors and layers on the candlesticks.
fusion paint, colorful candlesticks, shabby, salvaged decor, Beyond The Picket Fence, http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2015/02/project-challenge-2-with-thrift-store.html
When each one was the final color I wanted, I let them dry and then distressed them with a wet terry cloth rag.
painted candlestick, shabby chic, decor, beachy, paint, mineral paint, mantle, Beyond The Picket Fence, http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2015/02/project-challenge-2-with-thrift-store.html
They are fresh and look like high end candlesticks rather than inexpensive thrift store finds.  
paint, shabby, distressing paint, beach decor, beyond the picket fence, http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2015/02/project-challenge-2-with-thrift-store.html
Oh, and I had to share this so not magazine worthy family room of mine.  Yes, that is a basketball hoop in my living room...sigh. They are only at home so long and if a basketball hoop makes them happy and keeps them in the family room playing and talking rather than in their bedroom, it is worth it!
beyond the picket fence, paint, shabby decor, mantel, fusion paint, candlesticks, http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2015/02/project-challenge-2-with-thrift-store.html
Enjoy the other under $5 thrift store find projects HERE:

9 comments:

  1. I love your candlesticks! And I love the challenge idea
    Would you consider having this be a link up? You could post a challenge for the next week and limit link ups to projects from that week and that fit the challenge. I would love to participate (some weeks) to help kick me into action on projects!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the candlesticks, great job painting them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this project. I pass up dark, ugly candlesticks ALL the time and never even think about painting them. Thanks of the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo! I LOVE them. What great colors, especially for a dreary and rainy day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always LOVE the colors you pick! These candlesticks look great now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those colors are fantastic and I love the new life they have, Becky. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! Love the leaves on the candle sticks! You're lucky your thrift store has half off days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your candlesticks are nice enough to make me want my own!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love em, Becky! Guess the good news is that if anyone misses the basket and knocks them off the mantle, they only cost $5 and a little elbow grease!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate your kind words!