Friday, June 20, 2014

Summer "Mantel" & Old Faded Book Page Flag

It is almost the 4th of July (okay, 2 weeks away, but that is pretty darn close) to almost and that means it is time to decorate for the fourth.  So last night while not sleeping I came up with this giant flag idea for my "mantel", aka, shelf.
flag, 4th of July, old books, mantel, summer, http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2014/06/summer-mantel-old-faded-book-page-flag.html


I drew stars on old book pages and watercolored them blue.  Some of the blank pages I watercolred red (which comes out pink or faded red as I like to call it).

I added some barnwood trim to a 3'x4' bulletin I had picked up at a garage sale.  I attached the trim with brad nails.
Next, you simply staple the book pages in place.
summer, flag, 4th of July, summer, vintage, books, http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2014/06/summer-mantel-old-faded-book-page-flag.html
I would have liked one more row of red and I could have turned the pages the other way, but oh well, I am happy with it this way too.
summer, 4th of July, old books, red, white, and blue, flag, mantel, http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2014/06/summer-mantel-old-faded-book-page-flag.html
Some other fun touches for my summer mantel include a vintage picnic basket with painted spindles on it, an old camera, and a red metal pipe fitting.
picnic basket, summer mantel, spindle, red, white, blue, http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2014/06/summer-mantel-old-faded-book-page-flag.html
In the other corner I added a red, sort of white, and blue book, my favorite little red cowboy boots and some Montana driftwood.
summer, red white an blue, old books, driftwood, cowboy boots, http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2014/06/summer-mantel-old-faded-book-page-flag.html
I love the fresh look for summer!
flag, summer, 4th of July, red, white, and blue, http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2014/06/summer-mantel-old-faded-book-page-flag.html


11 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a flag--Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me, the best of ideas come right before i doze off and looks like it's true for you too. What a superb idea to make that flag. Like the look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your flag idea.

    I set out some 4th of July displays this morning. It is fun to be seeing great ideas on blogs for the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great look! I really love this

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this look and have a pile of old books that need a new life. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Find best Home based Business without any work, just invest and rest with your profit
    EarningsClub.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea, so clever and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get Hourly profit for 200 hours on every hour without any risk and without any work, best business plans ever
    AllTimeProfit.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate your kind words!