Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Q and A

So I thought I'd answer a few questions that I frequently receive:

Where do you find pallets?  I see them outside of businesses and stop and go in and ask for them.  Look for plumbing places, flooring stores, etc.

What kind of pallets do you look for?  I look for pallets that are stamped with HT meaning they are heat treated rather than chemically treated.  .  I look at the pallets somewhat carefully, seeing what kind of shape the wood is in.  I don't mind if it is rough, but many pieces are cracked and I don't want that.  I look for pallets with as many useable pieces of wood as possible.

How do you take pallets apart?  In the beginning I was using a jigsaw to cut the pieces off, but this leaves you with only short pieces.  I looked at several videos on You Tube--um, I think those people pounding those things apart are related to Hercules.  So I bought a sawsall.  I had a cordless one but the battery died too quickly.  It is easiest to have two people to do it--one to hold and one to cut.

Where do you get the longer pieces or 2x4's you use for legs. etc. ?  These usually come off of the pallets too.  They are often a little rough and out of shape so you have to work and cut them in the right places to get straight pieces.  I have even found some loose ones in the pallet piles.

What tools do you use the most? (Besides the sawsall for the pallets) I would say my drill (my new one now!) is used the most.  But,  I love and use frequently, especially with all of these pallet projects, my sliding compound miter saw.  I got a new one for Christmas--cuts like butter!  I also love my air compressor and nail gun--okay, well I have a love/hate relationship with it, but use it frequently.  Come to think of it, that was a gift too several years ago :).

What color did you use on...?  Honestly, as I said in my distressed painting tute I shared a few weeks ago, I mix and match, use a little of  this, a little of that, dump colors together.  Go to the paint store and look at the chips or to the craft store and look for inexpensive bottles of craft paint.  When you find a color you love, take it to the paint store to get a can of it.  HERE is my paint technique I use most often!

Okay, that is all for now--I teach preschool, I answer a lot of questions every day.  

7 comments:

  1. Awesome info..thanks for the details. I have a pallet project happening at my house right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Becky! thanks for sharing with us.

    :)
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, where do you get the lumber and palletes from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't own any tools at the moment. I have been thinking about investing in a drill, what should I look for in a drill? Thanks. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this very helpful information. I'm so excited to have found your blog!!! What we learned about finding add'l sources of wood for legs, etc . . . .is that most lumber yards have scrap piles that they WANT people to pillage . . . just ask them first.

    The Burtons :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. if you are looking for the whole supplier and manufacturer of wooden pallet then visit us today we will provide you the http://www.woodenpalletindia.com/ply_wood_pallets.php

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for taking the time to answer some general questions. There are not a lot of places on the web where you can find consistent information. Another awesome site for pictures, info and full step by step DIY articles is www.palletfurnitureonline.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate your kind words!