Friday, March 16, 2012

Pallet Potting Bench

I am still in my pallet paradise mode--loving the beauty and creative possibility of free wood. 

 Now, free wood does not mean less work, quite the contrary.  Pallet building is not for the faint.  It is hard work making that free wood useable.  But, I love discovering the different kinds of woods, dreaming up new ways to use the various parts of the pallet.  Using half a pallet, I built a potting table that is ready for spring (or late May in Montana).
build a potting bench from reclaimed wood pallets

I filled in the empty spaces between the pallets with some painted trim pieces.
Use thin pieces of wood to fill the gaps in a wood pallet
Old window sash pieces worked for legs and some found tongue and groove boards for the bottom shelf.  I added a little chalkboard I made from an old lace shutter frame I found in an alley and a few fun things to hang tools from.
add a chalkboard to a potting bench
Even with the bottom shelf, she was still a little unsteady on her feet so I added a cross piece in the back which stabilized the table beautifully. 
add a support board to make a table or bench sturdy
Mother Nature, bring on some planting weather!
Make a potting bench from discarded pallets

25 comments:

  1. I adore your potting bench it is the coolest and love all the things you have added....sooo clever

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this piece! I say that a lot, don't I??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your potting bench. I love the way you hung the metal pitcher too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and scrap wood go together like peas and carrots. Great bench. Love the handles for hanging stuff. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is freaking adorable!!! Fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the work you are doing with the pallet wood...super repurpose of FREE!! Last photo really caught my eye when I saw the hose nozzle and the faucet handle used as "things to hang things on!"! I collect both of those items and am always on the search for a novel way to use them...thanks! *e*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute potting bench...you are so creative, Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is just adorable and I just love the colors you mix together. I know working with those pallets is not for the faint of heart. Those nail brads are a huge bugger to remove!! I love your use of the faucet handle...and the frame on the chalkboard is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all your "Pallet Pretties!" You've got such good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a great job dreaming of this! So pretty! I love the colored trim pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It took me scrolling thru more than 100 links, before I wanted to click on one... and it was YOU! I LOVE all your pallet projects! Now I just need to go round me up some pallets!!! HOPEFULLY I will have a new potting bench soon, cuz you know I NEED one, who doesn't,, right?!
    I am off to poke around a bit more at your other fabulousness!!!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  12. What kind of pallets are you using? Are they double sided? How in the world do you get them apart? I have several double ones in the garage that I can't get apart. Got any wods of wisdom for me? Thanks. I love your work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there are a few different step by step guides on youtube for how to take apart a pallet :) good luck!

      Delete
  13. I love this!! I'm itching to make something using pallet wood.
    I am your newest follower:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your potting bench is totally awesome! I love how you paint!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok I want this right now at my house!!! :) I love it so great

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is cute Becky. I love how you filled in with the colored trim pieces. If I've said it once, I've said it a million times.... I won't throw anything away anymore, because I can use it on something!

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Becky,
    I love your potting table!! That turned out beautifully!
    What a fun place to do some planting :)
    Congrats on winning the Annie Sloan Paint at MMS!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. very cute but what's with that chamber pot on your planting bench? lolol

    ReplyDelete
  19. como pintan las maderas para lograr ese efecto? gracias!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a perfect project for Spring! Your wood pallet potting work bench is awesome.
    www.palletfurnatureonline.com - Pictures and inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  21. More often than not I don't make remarks on sites, however I'd like to say this article truly constrained me to do as such. Truly decent post!
    vedligeholdelsesfrit havehegn​

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate your kind words!