Monday, August 30, 2010

Art For Freeeee!

Okay, you have to have seen Bedtime Stories to read my post title correctly.  Soooo, hubby bought himself a little present, a new BIG TV.  What I like about it is it led to redecorating to find a home for the new beast.  Hubster built these shelves next to our fireplace, which is what I always wanted anyway (and yes, they are dark wood after my previous post touted my disdain for dark wood and dust, but the children won't be eating on these and the top shelf is too high to see the dust).
foart for free reclaimed window http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2010/08/art-for-freeeee.html
I had fun decorating these on a budget, spent $30 on baskets and that was all I purchased.  I wanted something to prop up on the top shelf to draw your eye up and away from the black monstrosity.  I spied a window frame in my stack of windows-- the color was perfect.  I cut a piece of thin plywood I had to fit the back and stained it a dark oak color.  I then used my Cricut to cut out a bunch of this leafy design from white vinyl and stuck them down.  I used a clear coat of poly over the whole thing at this point to seal the edges--not sure if I would do that again as some of the paint peeled up with it.
art for free reclaimed window http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2010/08/art-for-freeeee.html
I then brushed blue, cream, green, and yellow paint over it all, using water to blend the paint.
art for free reclaimed window http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2010/08/art-for-freeeee.html
After it dried I pulled off the vinyl.  As I said, a little bit of paint came up with the vinyl, but you can't tell.  I did use poly over all of it to keep the edges down.  I attached the board to the window frame and put it in place--I love the blue color up there.
art for free reclaimed window http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2010/08/art-for-freeeee.html

art for free reclaimed window http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2010/08/art-for-freeeee.html

art for free reclaimed window http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2010/08/art-for-freeeee.html

19 comments:

  1. So cute Becky! I love the 'window' art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your window art! Your entire setup is fantastic! Loving the candlesticks (of course)
    great job becky!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Love the shapes and color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colors in the window are marvelous! ~Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!! The colour, the pattern, everything!! And wish I had a pile of old gorgeous windows at my place too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job Becky... love the window art. Isn't free wonderful?

    Great job.

    Hugs, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your window art and the vignette around it.
    The color is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful! I love the overall effect, and the color you chose!
    Plus, I have TWO spare window frames to use. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was also inspired to try something like this, but might actually use it "in front" of the TV screen when I don't want it to be seen. Now I just have to hit the salvage shops to find a window frame big enough! Great job!

    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  10. That window is super pretty and the price is right!
    T

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally loving this!! I am happy to be your newest follower of your adorable blog! I'd love to have you as a friend at Frou Frou Decor! I would also like to invite you to link up at my weekly Fabulous Finds party..every Friday - Sunday! Hope to see you there!
    Hugs,
    ~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the window art!! Thanks for featuring my domino clock, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is awesome and your blog is so great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really really love this! You should sell these!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love this!!! I am definately going to get my cricut out and try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I did this as a 4H project. You can use actual leaves as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Καλή χρονιά!!! Χαίρομαι που σε γνωρίζω!!! Φιλιά από την όμορφη Ελλάδα

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate your kind words!