Tuesday, December 29, 2009

100 Decorating Ideas under $100--PB Inspired Art

I have always enjoyed the magazine 100 Decorating Ideas Under $100. I decided I am going to do my own 100 decorating projects under $100 this year, Yes, it may take me a whole year (I am getting a jump start). I saw maps framed in a "tower" in a recent Pottery Barn catalog. I couldn't find that they were for sale (not that I would buy them anyway), but liked them enough to duplicate the idea.

I started with graduating frames from the thrift store--I spent $9 total on 6 frames, it was 1/2 price day. I had an old 1953 Atlas that I used for the maps--cost me a couple bucks.

I used different layers of paint--cream, green and blue and finished with brown and then a coat of walnut stain. I also used the stain on the maps. I picked places I have been or want to go. I had to get Montana in there too--some of the maps are sideways.

Have you seen these command hooks--they were the most expensive (unnecessary) part of the project, but sure saves your walls from too many holes.

When I looked at the catalog again, I realized that their pictures didn't make a pyramid like mine do, but I like the pyramid.
So here is project #1. Sometimes I might cheat like the magazine does and show you old projects or versions of the same idea, but I promise all ideas will be under $100 (most likely a lot less than $100).

I am participating in Kimba's DIY Day and Funky Junk Interiors DIY:
DIY Day @ ASPTL

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

17 comments:

  1. I love these, they make such a statment stacked together like that. You did a great job and HAPPY NEW YEAR

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great, I am passing this along to my son and daughter-in-law. They are decorating their den in old world, travel etc. And this would be great. I look forward to 99 more posts with all your great ideas.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love! I saw this idea as well and wanted to frame some maps of England for my husband. I really like how yours turned out and am even more encouraged to try this idea. (Need to find the map first!) Really excited about this series you are going to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you did the frames. They are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really, really love what you did with these!! I've been wanting to frame maps for some time now. I'm always buying frames from goodwill and painting them and I just love how you brushed brown over the blue/green/cream colors and also used it over your maps! Very creative : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your 'pyramid' came out looking great...cute inexpensive idea! Love how the paler colors are peeking out of the frames. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love this idea. and, yes its ok if you show off your "older" projects like the PB mag does. they always do. so you can too! i like them altogether too. great job. and educational too.

    blessings for the new year!
    kellie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea and they turned out so pretty. love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really neat idea. (I love a good knock off!) LOL


    I'm very excited to see all of your projects. I could use some inspiration.

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! What a great way to save money!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These turned out so great! I think they're gorgeous! I love the idea of applying stain to the maps.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhh... I like this! The rustic nature of it all reall speaks to me especially. COOL idea.

    Thanks for linking up to SNS!

    FJ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the way the frames turned out. I like the maps too-- but you could do that same with frames and any collection of prints---whatever works, huh? I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yeah...I really like this project! I love how you finished the frames and how you stacked them on the wall! Awesome job! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooooo, that's really cool! It would look great in my boys' room!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE these. I'm actually in the middle of making some of these myself. With a twist of each map being of the cities in which we lived. Now i'm inspired to finish...i wasn just holding out for a few more really cool frames.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate your kind words!