Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Thrifty Finds

So, I have a secret. I know the people who own one of the thrift stores in town and they will call me when they get things in that they think I will like. That's how I got the cupboard doors and the trunk I showed in the previous posts. They also let me dig in their back room before stuff is put out. Here are a few things I picked up there yesterday:


This fun medical cart was only $2. I have already started working on it so tune in tomorrow or the next day to see its transformation.

This ladder was also $2. It has a pottery barn sticker on it that says $149. The star checkers board was I think free. Look at the original directions and the 1939 copyright on the back

.

I got this nightstand for $3. It is made by the Henderon Furniture Co. I found a matching pair on ebay for $285. Iy does have a scratched top so it is getting painted.

I also got a little cabinet and three shutters from the thrift shop and spent a total of $12.

Here are some chairs that I can't wait to transform for myself. I got them at a different thrift store for $15 a piece. It was a little more than i wanted to spend and I actually left them there, but went back an hour later to get them. The caning is in perfect condition, the seat not so much, but I plan to recover them anyway.
Here is another metal medical ( I think) cabinet that I got free from a friend. I am going to clean it up and take it to the antique barn as is, I think. It may just become a work surface for me too!
I just can't tell you how happy I am when I find great things! I know most of you understand though. Off to paint a bit more!

6 comments:

  1. Such great finds! I wish I had connections like that! I can't wait to see the transformations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...no wonder you get some great finds!!! Maybe I'll have to start talking to my ladies at the thrift store a little more..lol.

    I love that ladder..how fun!

    Hugz,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a great eye! and you always seem to have something in the works!! Love it.
    Do you have an email address/phone number I could reach you at? I'd love to talk to you about some opportunities..

    Kelly
    kelly.eagle@meredith.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been thinking of doing the exact same thing for a while now...the junking thing. I just happened to stumble on your blog while looking at decorating blogs. I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind answering a couple of questions for me (and I'm sure for other inquiring minds!)...

    How much time do you spend each week finding your items? Working on your items? Selling your items? Has it become a full time income for you? What items/paint colors do you find sell the best?

    Thanks for the help! I love your stuff, you come up with some really creative ideas, and it's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of your ideas! I love to transform old pieces of furniture. Most of the time I keep them...however I am running out of space in my little cottage. I have a booth at a store in town. Its not big enough for furniture. I sell alot of vintage dishes,linens,etc. The owner of the store has mentioned opening up a furniture room for vendors to use. She hasn't done it yet. I will just get a few pieces ready for when she does. I get so much inspiration from you. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love your stuff!!! :)
    Have a blessed day
    Shani @christmasriver.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate your kind words!